CURRICULUM VITAE | PDF
Austin Community College (Northridge Campus) Austin, TX 9/2010 - Present
- Associate Professor of Music Business, Performance, and Technology
- MUSC 1331 - Introduction to Electronic Music (formerly MIDI I)
- MUSC-1333 - Synthesis I
- MUSC-1371 - Modular Synthesis I
- MUSC 1374 - Electronic Music Performance
- MUSP 1223 - Applied Synthesis
- MBPT/Music Department Tutor
- Instructor - MBPT Summer Audio Workshop for High School Students since 2002
- Responsible for creating transfer pipeline between MBPT + CalArts MTIID
- Responsible for the creation, development and implementation of three new courses at Austin Community College
Austin Community College (Highland Campus) Austin, TX 7/2016 - Present
- ACC BatLab Makerspace Coordinator
- Responsible for the creation + curation of the BatLab Digital Art + Technology Forum
California Institute of the Arts Valencia, CA 9/2010 - 5/2011
- Graduate Teaching & Research Assistant: Music Technology Department
- Instructor - CS217 - Digital Media and Web Dev. for Artists
- TA - MI540 - Machine Orchestra
- TA - CS313A - Intro to Programming for Digital Artists
Cycles Per Second Austin, TX 1/2010 - Present
- Founder - Consulting, Furniture Design, Instrument Design, NIME Design, Installation, Interactive & Immersive Art, Sound Design, Digital Art, Music Composition, Film/TV/Commercial Branding & Scoring
Streetcar Music International Austin, TX 5/1996 - 1/2002
- Owner/Operator - Independent Record Label, Booking, Promotion
- Responsible for the release of 7 albums (Vinyl, CD)
- Booked 5 US tours
Composer/Sound Designer, Kadenze Valencia, CA 3/2014 - Present
- Musical Composition & Branding/Sound Design for company and online courses
Technician, BleepLabs Austin, TX 4/2013 - Present
- Synthesizer Fabrication: End to End Building, Circuit Assembly, Soldering, Testing, Repair, Shipping, Quality Control
Technician, Royer Labs Burbank, CA 6/2010 - 7/2011
- Ribbon Microphone Fabrication: End to End Building, Circuit Assembly, Soldering, Testing, Repair, Quality Control
Audio Engineer / Live Sound Engineer, CalArts Music Department Valencia, CA 1/2008 - 5/2010
- Workforce Scholarship recipient
- Responsible for audio recording, live sound, setup, lighting for nightly events in the Roy O. Disney Performance Hall
Project Manager (Electromechanical Department), Bantam Electronics Austin, TX 3/2005 - 6/2008
- Irrigation Controller Design, Team Leader, Fabrication, Building, Soldering, Testing, Field & In-House Repair, Client/Customer Relations, Quality Control, Bill of Materials/Building & Wiring Documentation, Inventory, Shipping/Receiving
Freelance Audio Production/Composing/Sound Design: (Partial Client-List)
Kannu/Kadenze, Region C, HEB, Karmetik, Present Company Theatre, Theatre En Route, Texas Civil Justice League, Greater Austin Crime Commission, Third Order Productions, Canetti Productions, Cave Creek Productions, Texas Association of Counties, University of Texas (Longhorn Leaders - Athletic Department)
California Institute of the Arts Valencia, CA
MFA in Music Technology - MTIID Department: Herb Alpert School of Music - 2016
- Herb Alpert Foundation Scholarship Award Recipient
- Thesis - Imperceptibility in Nature: Artistic Approaches to Examining Systems Beyond our Perception (PDF Low Res)
California Institute of the Arts Valencia, CA
BFA in Music Technology - MTIID Department: Herb Alpert School of Music - 2009
Austin Community College Austin, TX (2002 - 2005) MBPT Program
Selected Talks, Guest Lectures + Academic Contributions
- “Sound Synthesis Using Reaktor” - Kadenze Online Digital Art & Technology Education - Contributing Course Developer, 2014 - 2015
- “Generative Systems using NI Reaktor Software” - Ableton Live Workshop - Austin, TX - 2015
- “Intro to Rapid Prototyping and Digital Fabrication” - California Institute of the Arts - MTIID Interim - 2015
- “Artistic Approaches to Generating Modal Phenomena” - NMASS Art & Music Festival - 2014
- “Sampling and Wavetable Synthesis” - California Institute of the Arts - MTIID Interim - 2013
- “21st Century Digital Fabrication Techniques & Open Source Design” - Graduate Music Composition Forum (Lecture Series) - Texas State University - 2011
- “Multi-Laser Gestural Interface & Open-Source Design” - DubSpot/Ableton Workshop - Los Angeles, CA - 2010
PUBLISHED BOOK CHAPTERS
“Audio Engineering 101: A Beginners Guide to Music Production” by Tim A. Dittmar. Published by Focal Press, 2012. Chapter by Meason Wiley entitled: “Computers and Audio - Making Music with Computers”
PUBLISHED JOURNAL PAPERS
Wiley, M., Lepley, A. “NODE: An Interactive Audiovisual Installation” Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. USA. June 2015.
Kapur, A., Darling, M., Wiley, M., Vallis, O., Hochenbaum, J., Murphy, J., Diakopoulos, D., Burgin, C., & T. Yamin, “The Machine Orchestra,” Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, New York University, New York City, New York, June 2010.
Wiley, M. & A. Kapur, “Multi-Laser Gestural Interface: Solutions for Cost-Effective and Open Source Controllers” Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, Carnegie Melon University, Pittsburgh, PA USA. June 2009.
Selected Works (PARTIAL)
Verstehen | An Interactive Improvisational Performance Series for Live Painting, Electronics, and Sound - Link & Pin Gallery - Austin, TX. July, 2017.
Dead Man's Cell Phone En Route Productions - Springdale Station, Austin, TX. Sound Designer/Composer. Directed by Lindsay Doleshal. January, 2017.
Concord New Media Art & Sound Summit, Austin, TX. USA. June 2016.
NODE: An Interactive Audiovisual Installation Proceedings of the International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA. USA. June 2015.
NODE: An Interactive Audiovisual Installation Digital Arts Expo, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA. USA. May 2015.
Cycle: A Kinetic Sound Sculpture Digital Arts Expo, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA. USA. May 2015.
Ubeldrohne: A Polyphonic Bass Drone Instrument Digital Arts Expo, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA. USA. May 2015.
Phase Modulation (Adapted) New Media Art & Sound Summit, Austin, TX. USA. June 2015.
Phase Modulation Digital Arts Expo, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA. USA. May 2014.
A Midsummer Night's Dream Present Company Theatre - Shakespeare on the Farm, Austin, TX. Sound Designer/Composer. Directed by Lindsay Doleshal. September, 2013.
Someday (Short Film) - Score + Sound Design - Third Eye Productions, Austin, TX. Winner of "Best Score" - Housecore Horror Film Festival - 2013.
Dead Waiter "Musique est un Cadeau D'un Dieu" (Short Film) - Score, Writer, Producer - 99X/10 Records - 2005.
Selected Performances (PARTIAL)
"Miskəˌmyo͞onəˈkāSHən", Roy O Disney Theatre, CalArts, Valencia, CA. MFA Mid-Residency Concert. December 7th, 2014.
“Samsara”, REDCAT Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA. Directed by Ajay Kapur & Michael Darling. KarmetiK Machine Orchestra. April 12-13, 2012.
“Ring Festival LA: Considering Wagner” REDCAT Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA. Act III - Composer: Meason Wiley - Vorspiel Umgestaltet, ensemble w/projections; Meason Wiley, laptop; Aniela Perry, cello; Matt Barbier, trombone; Philippe Brunet, trumpet. 2010.
"Digitizing North Indian Classical Music" Roy O Disney Theatre, CalArts, Valencia, CA. April 18th, 2010.
“The Machine Orchestra - Live at CalArts Modular Theatre”, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA. Directed by Ajay Kapur & Michael Darling. 2010.
“KarmetIK Machine Orchestra at SCREAM Festival”, REDCAT Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA. Directed by Ajay Kapur & Michael Darling. January 27, 2010.
“Ah! Opera No Opera” REDCAT Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, CA. Meason Wiley - Hardware Technology/Interactive Designer, Directed By Travis Preston & David Rosenboom. 2010.
"21st Century Raga: New Music For Traditional Indian Instruments, Robots, & Custom Musical Interfaces", Roy O Disney Theatre, CalArts, Valencia, CA. April 18th, 2009.
"MTIID Graduation Recital", Roy O Disney Theatre, CalArts, Valencia, CA. March 5th, 2009.
- Abstract Class S/T EP (Digital) Mirrorman Records. 2017
- Samsara: Live at REDCAT (Digital/DVD) KarmetiK Records. 2016
- Caroline Lufkin - Verdugo Hills Remixes (CD/LP/Digital) Temporary Residence Limited. 2012
- Annabella - Green and Silver (CD/Digital) Las Olas Recordings. 2012
- Zigbenow Karkowski & Tetsuo Furudate - World As Will IV (CD/LP) [OHM] Records, 2011
- The Machine Orchestra - Live at REDCAT (Digital/DVD) KarmetiK Records. 2010
- V/A - Narration of a City (LP/Digital) Proximal Records. 2010
- V/A - The Black Compilation (CD/Digital) Catalog Records. 2008
- Ringfinger - Decimal (CD/LP/Digital) Magic Bullet Records. 2008
- Annabella - Say Goodnight (CD/Digital) Las Olas Recordings. 2008
- V/A - Wait Til The Ice Melts (CD/Digital) Exponential Records. 2008
- V/A - Building A Better Robot (CD/Digital) Electric Eel Records. 2008
- Dead Waiter - Broken Beats EP (CD/Digital) 99X/10 Records. 2007
- V/A - Nothing Concrete (CD/Digital) 99X/10 Records. 2005
- Annabella - Songs of Goodbye (CD/Digital) Las Olas Recordings. 2005
- V/A - KVRX Local Live V.6 “Unlimited Bandwidth” (CD) KVRX. 2003
- V/A - A Compilation for Heroes (CD) Streetcar Music International. 1999
- V/A - The First Crush Compilation (CD) Thick As Thieves/Streetcar Music International. 1997
- V/A - There Is A Light Compilation (CD) Red Jagwire Records. 1997
Software/Programming Languages - Adobe Suite, Final Cut Pro, Office Suite, Max/MSP, Jitter, Reaktor, VVVV, Arduino, Processing, ChucK, SketchUp, AutoCAD, Ableton Live, ProTools, Cubase, Logic, Reason, Fritzing, WordPress, Quartz Composer, Isadora, LT Spice, and VDMX.
Hardware - Arduino, Sensors, Wiring, Soldering, Schematic Design, Component Layout, Circuit Design
Fabrication - Digital Fabrication (CNC Routing, Laser Cutting, 3D Printing), Mig Welding (Steel), Wood Working, Machining, Milling, Furniture Design, Industrial Design, Traditional Fabrication
Audio - Sound Synthesis, Audio Production, Audio Recording, Live Sound, Mixing, Mastering, Sound Design, Mic Techniques, Acoustics, Music Composition, Generative Systems
Miscellaneous - Construction, Remodeling, Painting, Landscape Architecture, Interior Design